The Alto Atacama
The Andes cast shadows from above as the world’s driest desert stretches before you. Alpacas can be heard humming in the distance and night is about to fall, soon to engulf you in a sea of stars. You sit around the fire pit, not as a means of survival but to relax, you are in the desert but far from being stranded. You are at the Alto Atacama lodge.
Why The Alto Atacama?
Nestled 3km from the city, the Alto Atacama is situated in a stunning natural region of northern Chile. Like a chameleon, it was designed to blend into its environment, showing appreciation for the natural elements without being intrusive. The masterpiece of a collaboration of architects passionate for the existing culture, this lodge and spa has been created using elements of the surrounding environment, local people and traditional tastes. What else makes it so special?
- It’s open observatory deck for star gazing
- The comfortably incorporated outdoor areas
- The commitment to environmental sustainability
- Stables of alpacas and llamas
- Indigenous guides
- 35 different excursions including volcano trekking and photo safaris
- A spa with several outdoor pools, sauna and steam bath
- All inclusive packages
Broken down into three categories, the Alto Atacama offers rooms that have been painted with the visionary brush of talented designers. These rooms are no exception to the hotel’s standard for cultural and environmental awareness.
- Suite Tilo: These suites are situated in the gardens which overlook the Catarpe Valley and lagoon. Each is equipped with a private terrace, mini-bar, outdoor shower and patio.
- Standard Catarpe: These rooms overlook the Catarpe Valley and Cordillera de la Sal Range. Guests here can look at the view from a private terrace while enjoying a drink from the mini-bar.
- Quitor: Quitor rooms are located closest to the common areas and offer views of the gardens and Cordillera de la Sal. They too have a private terrace and mini-bar for guests to enjoy.
Make it Extra Special
Chile as a travel destination has much to offer its visitors and many of its attractions can be found on the bucket lists of people around the world. Pair your desert stay with activities that will help you dig deeper into the sights, sounds and tastes of Chile. Consider….
- Trekking through Torres del Paine National Park
- Exploring the mysteries of Easter Island
- Tasting the cuisine in Santiago
- Climbing up a volcano in Pucan
It’s not every day that you get to wake up in the desert and fall asleep under a star-strewn sky that glimmers over the valley. During a stay at Alto Atacama, you won’t have the chance to forget the beauty that Chile is known for.