The city of Guilin, located in southern China, will bring every Chinese painting you’ve ever seen to life. Known for an absolutely stunning landscape of limestone mountains jutting from azure waters, visitors to Guilin get a sense of China beyond its famous cities. After a bamboo raft tour of the tranquil Li river, retreat to the regal Shangri-La Hotel, infamous around China and for good reason.
Why The Shangri-La Hotel Guilin?
Guilin’s landscape has turned it into a natural playground of exploration. After spending days amongst the mountains, wandering through the caves and gazing at the lakes, it is imperative to have a luxurious place in which to rest your head. The Shangri-La has created an oasis for guests to retreat without losing touch of the Chinese culture they traveled so far to experience. With ample views of the scenery, Oriental décor, traditional spa therapies and an authentic cuisine, a stay at the Shangri-La Hotel is a true Chinese experience. Other Shangri-La offerings include:
- 3 restaurants featuring traditional Guilin, Hunan, Cantonese and international dishes
- Pool bar serving beautifully crafted cocktails
- Floor to ceiling lobby windows with mountain views
- In-house spa offering hot stone and deep tissue massages, body wraps and scrubs, aroma baths and deep tissue therapies
- Indoor, outdoor and children’s pools
- Fitness room, game room and archery
Carefully decorated with Chinese tapestries and art, each room and suite of the Shangri-La sits within a stunning view of landscaped gardens and the Li River. The accommodations are designed to make guests feel part of the natural landscape while still residing cozily in a setting that feels like home. Rooms within the Shangri-La are split into three categories including:
- Deluxe Rooms: Offered in various sizes, these rooms all have a draw-dropping view of the nearby Li River. Rooms are equipped with a marble –floored bathroom which has a tub and separate, glass-enclosed shower.
- Horizon Club Rooms: The Horizon Club rooms feature the same amenities as the Deluxe but offer exclusive privileges for guests that have become Horizon members. These privileges include access to a private lounge, a dedicated concierge service, daily breakfast, cocktails and more.
- Suites: These suites range from Executive, Specialty and Presidential and receive access to the Horizon Club benefits. While all have been lavishly decorated with antiques and traditional art, they all differ in available space. The Presidential suite contains a sitting room, lounge, dining area, study and private Jacuzzi. The Specialty Suite is equipped with the same spaces as the Presidential Suite with a separate shower and bathtub. While slightly more toned down than the others, the Executive Suite offers the same brilliant views with a writing desk and separate shower and tub.
Make it Extra Special
China is filled to the brim with destinations that draw people from around the globe. A visit to this massive country will surely scratch at least one item off of your bucket list. While Guilin is an absolutely gorgeous place to equate yourself with China, consider adding some of these ventures onto your itinerary:
- Visit Beijing and trek on the Great Wall, picnic amongst the gardens of the Summer Palace and wander for hours through the Forbidden City.
- Head to Xi’an to visit the Terracotta Warriors, Imperial Palace and roam the Muslim Quarter
- Wander through the 180 million year old Reed Flute Cave
- Learn about Chinese culture and cuisine while participating in a home stay with a local family
- Stroll around the Bund, Shanghai’s futuristic waterfront
- Volunteer to work with Panda Bears in Sichuan province
Fascinating, diverse and even shocking at times, a visit to China is a truly unique experience. Start your journey in Guilin for the natural beauty and then branch out to see what else you can discover.